Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Good or God?

I love words! 
I love word art! 

I love basically anything that has inspirational and motivational words on it. My family and friends know this about me so I often receive word gifts for Christmas. Like this Mary Engelbreit desk calendar. I get one every year and on the rare occasions that I don't receive it, it's the first thing I go out and buy myself. 
You see, I think love words so much because I believe that they have power. The right saying on the right day can direct you, encourage you and comfort you. But we have to remember that just becuase they sound good doesn't mean they are truth and only truth can be transformational. 

Take for example this saying. "Think It. Want It. Get It." It's a part of a card pack that I received for Christmas. I enjoy most of the sayings in the pack. For example, one says, "You're a diamond, so Shine!". Another says, "Inhale the future, Exhale the Past". They often speak to me. But this one. This one right here caused me to pause. 

I read it and then read it again.  On the surface, it sounds positive, doesn't it? Motivational, even. But what does it really mean? Does it mean that I if I want something, I should just go get it?

Like a pizza at midnight even though I'm trying to eat healthy?
Like a new car even though I can't afford it?
Like a relationship when I'm still working through my junk?
Like a new job just because it pays more money?
Like a new spouse because she's a new model?
Like a new church because the pastor offended me?

What we have to realize is that just because something sounds good doesn't mean it is of God. It might tickle our ears, bring a tear to our eyes or even light a fire in our bellies, but most of the time, that's just a flesh response. As Christians, we must get to know the Word of God so that we can discern the application of what we read and hear.

About 12 years ago, I fell completely in love with the Bible. One of my favorite passages is found Matthew 6:33 and it says this, "Seek first His kingdom and His righteousness and all of these will be given to you as well". This verse tells me that if I follow God, that He will give me all that is good and in His plan for me. I don't have to covet it or claw my way to get it. But I wouldn't have known that unless I first knew the Word believed that the God of the Word loves me.


This is a picture of my Bible at home. It is completely falling apart. It's in such fragile condition that I can truly pull out whole books of the Bible and let you borrow them. It's kind of comical! And even though I could replace the cover and have it rebound, I keep it like this because it tells a story. My story. You see, I was so jacked up when I bought it that my issues had issues. I also had a terrible case of stickin' thinkin'. I thought like the world and acted on this beliefs. But over the years, the Lord led me on a journey through His word and little by little He's been renewing my mind and teaching me to think like Him. I've not "arrived" yet and never will until the day I enter heaven, but most days I can tell the difference between what sounds good and what's of God.

How about you? Where does God's Word rank in your life? How well do you recognize truth? Maybe today's a great day to grab your Bible and spend some time with the only words that can not only inspire and motivate but also transform.

Keeping it real,




4 comments:

  1. My mom's Bible looked similar and inside she had taped a quote that said this "A Bible that is falling apart usually belong to a person that's not" Thank you for the reminder that God's word should be our only source of truth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being a word monger myself, I can totally relate.
    Your wisdom and perspective is so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete